Sunday, February 27, 2011

Mike's TechReview: HTC Inspire 4G


Alright sports fans... I was lucky enough to snag one of AT&T's newest SmartPhones, the android powered HTC Inspire 4G.  I've been using the Inspire 4G for a little over a week so here's a hands-on review with my initial impressions; the good, the bad and yes, even the ugly.

The Good:
  • Build quality
  • Killer 8MP camera
  • Finally Froyo
  • Snappy, 1 GHz processor
 The Bad:
  • Where's the 4G?
  • A bit bulky
  • 3.5 mm audio...on the bottom?
The Ugly:
  • No HTML email w/ Exchange 2003
Hit the break for a recap and final impressions!

Recap/Final Impressions

Overall, the goods far outweigh the bads with this one folks.  The screen is amazing and the 4.3" size really works well.  Whether typing in landscape mode or checking out a YouTube vid, the extra real estate on the screen is a pleasure and the resolution is pretty superb too.  My first experience with Froyo (Android 2.2) at first seemed unremarkable, but upon reflection it's really pretty amazing.  Froyo is much more stable than Eclair (2.1) with far fewer crashes and freezes.  Google has also added some minor tweaks that just make sense namely their new Task Manager that lets you control just about any aspect of your phone in a click or two.  I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that I never actually experienced 4G data speeds, even though the Inspire is capable.  I'm told that it's coming soon in my area, so I'll have to reserve judgment...3G is okay, but heck the phone has 4G in the name so it should be smoking fast,right?  The awesome camera and the solid feel of the phone nearly make me forget about the lack of the extra "G", but silly placement of the audio jack and the sheer weigh remind me that I'm missing a lil' somethin' somethin'... At the end of the day, this phone rates about a 7 out of 10, but could be a stron 8.5 if 4G is as fast as advertised.  Going to post some hands on video soon...y'all come back now.

No comments:

Post a Comment